Monday, November 26, 2012

Prepping on a budget vol I iss II--foodstorage part 2

this segment is about creating an action plan. Setting up your food storage can seem like an incredibly daunting task. Just buying groceries for the week can take hours depending on how busy the store is and how extensive your list is. Can you imagine buying enough shelf stable foods to last a year?

Well actually its not as bad as it seems. Since you really should only store the foods that you eat, its just like your normal grocery shopping. But you say you can't afford to buy a years worth at once. trust me I understand, and I am not suggesting you do so.

your first step is to establish a game plan. Go to the food storage calculator (this tool is put out by the LDS. While I am not Mormon, I do feel that it is a good tool.) There are also a number of other calculators out there. So, use the calculator to determine what you need. I like this one best because it gives a summary of good basic foods.

Now that you know what your goal amounts are, start small. I actually suggest a two pronged approach. First start with your most important categories which are (in order)fats, proteins, and bulk. In a survival scenario, if you are not consuming fat and protein your body will cannibalize itself to fill in the gaps. Your brain is pure fat and your muscles are well protein. While you may think you can afford to loose some muscle mass, keep in mind--your heart is a muscle. I would build up with these three categories first to a three month threshold, than build up the other areas to that threshold. I would then build up to a 6 month threshold etc.

Don't get freaked out and don't despair. Next time you are at the store, simply pick up an extra bottle of oil and some bags of beans.

What are your strategies for building your food storage? please let me know in the comments section below

5 comments:

  1. My best tip would be to work long-storing proteins into your regular diet, buy them in bulk and rotate them out of your pantry. Rotation helps reduce waste.

    We regularly use TVP and split peas. We also buy coconut oil and olive oil by the gallon. We keep smaller containers in the kitchen and store what I think of as "emergency calories" in the basement, on metal shelves under our stairs. That keeps them cool, organized and easily accessible but also out of the way.

    I try to keep several pounds of different kinds of beans on hand for soup making, but I'm not as good as rotating those out with regular use.

    Another favorite of mine to keep on hand is rice. Rice is tremendously inexpensive, and a 5 lb bag will keep you from starving for a month. You might be sick of rice by the time things normalize enough to go shopping, but you won't be weak or sick from lack of food. If you end up not wanting to eat it, it's good for filling socks and microwaving (or freezing) for a heating pad substitute. I cook the older rice into dog food when its time to rotate stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonderful suggestions. Rice, beans, and oil are the key. It gives you fats, protein, and bulk (the calories to keep working). Plus its pretty darn cheap. But like you say, you have to rotate. I try to buy in advance of my needs and rotate through as need be. for instance instead of buying rice for this week this week, I will buy rice this week for two months down the road. Working your storage into your regular diet is key. Knowing different ways of preparing your storage foods before you have to rely on your storage foods will help prevent appetite fatigue.

      Delete
  2. For under $200 you can get enough black beans, rice and oil to last 1 person, 1 year. Costco/Sams club bulk buying or large Hispanic/asian markets. You want white rice, brown doesn't store long term very well. The standard boil water, add rice, simmer for 15 minutes kind.

    Hit the grocery store once a week, spend an extra $10. $4 on water, $3 on black beans, $3 on rice. That's $45 a month.
    Oatmeal is really cheap and lasts a long time.

    Everyone needs to figure out what long term means to them. I have food that will last 25 years but to me long term means having enough food for 3-4 years, not just having food that will last a long time unopened.

    Lastly: stay away from MRE's unless you get them from a military friend for free; not worth the premium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome tips. I'm working up myself. Somehow I had gotten off the food storage bandwagon (really quit paying attention) and had gotten down to roughly three months. My plan is to slowly work it up to a year, and from there to the 3-4 year mark. I've already decided to stay away from MREs because I want my foods to be kosher. Most MREs are not, and there is a further premium for finding kosher MREs. I do keep some dehydrated and freezedried foods for my 72 hour kit.

      Delete
    2. I could afford to, in three months time, buy 5 years worth of water and food. I've decided to do it more slowly (while not procrastinating lol) because I'm really striving to pay off the consumer debt at the same time and start savings to look for some property, with which I can become truly self-reliant.

      Delete