Sunday, November 18, 2012

GULP......

So a few weeks ago, I created an action plan going through January of 2014.  Sometimes, being simple is really hard work lol.  This action plan will have me out of debt and moving to a locale that I would much prefer to live in.  I have been working towards that goal, but its time to rededicate myself to actually accomplishing it.  This action plan also includes something that may or may not surprise you.  It includes working towards the goal of becoming more thoroughly prepared.  You may remember my last post about being prepared for the storms (metaphorical and literal) of life.  I have made a personal decision to prepare for more long range disasters (such as protracted drought leading to higher food cost, economic collapse, etc.).  Although these events are not likely, I feel that being prepared for them is important.  Even if nothing comes of it, I will be (hopefully) fully prepared to maintain my current living standard irregardless of what actually happens.  So to that end, I decided it was time for a complete inventory of my stockpile of shelf stable foods.  And that's where the gulp comes in.  I thought I was doing awesome, but after spending the morning on the inventory I discovered that I have on hand only aproximately 213 meals.  That is only a 71 day supply at three full meals per day (a grand total of 852 servings of different foods).  I've always said three months was the minimum one should have on hand, and even I don't live up to it.  This is especially frightening to me considering that we have reached the very end of canning season (at least locally).  Now this can be stretched a bit (i deliberately underestimated on the servings just to be on the conservative side).  This means that, with stretching and leaning down, I can get myself through 3 months--barely.  But this also means that, should something happen, I would lack the resources to help my friends and family also whether the storm--and frankly that's the point of prepping. 

Here is how the inventory broke down:
fruit--106 servings
Jams&jellies--356 servings (this is the one area that I actually have too much of lol)
Pasta--42 servings
whole grains (rice, quinoa etc)--92 servings
flours/baking mixes--25 servings
Vegetables--31 servings
beans (my primary protein source)--42 servings
Syrups (principally the blueberry syrup i made when blueberries were on sale .99 a pint)--27 servings
Tomato products (principally pasta sauces)--32 servings
pickles and relishes--70 servings
soup mixes and assorted other prepared main dishes--19 servings
sidedishes--10 servings

surprisingly considering I'm vegetarian, the principle shortcoming in my supply is vegetables. 

good thing there is lots of sales going on the next two months. 

Have you inventoried your pantry lately?  How long can you go without grocery shopping?  What is your food storage strategy?  Please let me know in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment